The Lemp Mansion
The Lemp Mansion, now a restaurant and bed and breakfast, is considered among the most haunted buildings in the United States. Members of the Lemp family, each dying under tragic circumstances, remain in the mansion. William J. Lemp, founder of Lemp Brewery, purchased the mansion for his family in 1876. In 1901, William’s favorite son, Frederick Lemp, died under mysterious circumstances. Three years later, William J. Lemp, still grieving for his son, committed suicide. William J. Lemp, Jr. then became president of the Lemp Brewery and committed suicide 18 years later. His son, William Lemp III, died of a heart attack in 1943 at 42 years of age. William Jr.’s brother, Charles, also committed suicide. The ghosts of the Lemp Mansion are documented by numerous paranormal investigations.
We all remember the movie the “Exorcist ” this was based off it.
Alexian Brothers Hospital was originally located 3933 S. Broadway in St. Louis, MO. It has since been demolished and the hospital was rebuilt at its present location. In 1949, the exorcism that was the basis of William Peter Blatty’s novel “The Exorcist” occurred at Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis, MO. The exorcism was performed on a 13-year-old boy, Robbie, whose parents brought him to St. Louis after months of dealing with the boy’s terrors. The exorcism was successful; however, when Robbie left Alexian Brothers Hospital, the room he had stayed in was permanently locked. Although the Alexian Brothers kept it secret, hospital workers involved in the case shared information about the things they heard and saw during the several-week ordeal. Notably, cold air emanated from the locked room, even though the hospital was warm everywhere else. Electrical problems plagued the surrounding rooms. After some time, the entire section of the hospital where the exorcism took place was closed. Alexian Brothers Hospital was demolished after a new hospital was built at 2645 Keokuk Street.
On the bluffs above the Meramec River, there is a 2.3-mile stretch of old railroad tracks known as Zombie Road. The area surrounding Zombie Road once contained one of the largest Native American mound cities, and became a trail used by settlers crossing the country. The road was used by the Union Army during the Civil War, and last used by trucks from a quarry that closed in 1970. Zombie Road is famous for its “shadow people,” ghostly apparitions that watch the thrill seekers walking the dark trails.